WOTC SUMMER TENNIS CAMPS
The WOTC Summer Tennis Camp is committed to providing a clear pathway for Juniors of all ages and skill levels. We offer Red Ball (ages 4-7.5), Orange Ball (ages 7.5-10), Green Ball (ages 10-11.5), Yellow Ball (11.5-17) and High-Performance (approved by Director) Camps to meet the needs of the students. Our goal is to provide an atmosphere to allow players to maximize their potential.
The WOTC Summer Tennis Camp is committed to providing a clear pathway for Juniors of all ages and skill levels.
Our nationally recognized Directors, Coaches and Facility are what makes the West Orange Tennis Club. WOTC is the largest single Tennis Club in New Jersey, Tennis is what we do. We believe a Fun, Challenging, Professional and Safe environment is always the best teacher. We look forward to creating with you, a lifelong enthusiasm for the game.
WOTC ROGY Tennis Camps
Now, like most sports, Tennis is more kid friendly than ever. Mandated by the USTA, 10 and Under Tennis adjusts to the size of the court, racquet and the bounce of the ball to child’s size and age. From picking up a racquet for the first time to playing nationally ranked, at WOTC, we offer a Summer of Fun for all.
- Red Ball Camp (Ages 4-7.5) Play on a 36′ court with a larger lower compression ball. At WOTC, we want our players to not only improve their hand-eye coordination and learn proper technique, but to be able to rally with one another, have fun, and build confidence.
- Orange Ball Camp (Ages 7.5-10) Play on a 60’ court with a low compression ball the size of a standard yellow ball. At this level, players continue to work on proper technique and footwork with more of an emphasis on how to apply their skills in match play.
- Green Ball Camp (Ages 10 –11.5) Play on a standard 78’ court with a lower compression Green ball (25% less than a yellow ball). Players concentrate on the transition to Yellow Ball and being able to play at Middle and High School levels.
- Yellow Ball Camp (ages 11.5 and up) Play on a 78’ court with standard Yellow Balls. Players at this level are working on their mental toughness while continuing to tweak basic fundamentals, footwork, and strategies. Most players in this program are looking to apply their skills to Middle and High School Teams, and tournament play.
WOTC High Performance Camp
- The High-Performance Camp provides the serious player an opportunity to train in a highly competitive structured environment.
- Students in the program must be actively playing USTA tournaments from the L1-L6 levels and must be committed to an intense 5-hour daily schedule with the understanding that maximum effort is a requirement and not an option.
- Weekly training incorporates but is not limited to live and dead ball drills, ground stroke pattern development, transitioning, net-play, singles and doubles strategy, on court fitness, and match play. Acceptance into the program must be approved by the director.
Meet the Directors
- Coaching and Directing tennis since 1989
- USPTA Elite Certified Coach since 19942005
- USPTA New England Facility Manager of the Year
- 2006 USPTA New England Pro of the Year
- 2017 USPTA Eastern High School Coach of the Year
- 2019 USPTA Eastern Pro of the Year
- USPTA Eastern Section 1st Vice President
- Trained with retired pros Guillermo Vilas, Mats Wilander, Tim Mayotte, Rod Lavor, Tom Gullikson, and many othersFour years of college tennis for Lyndon State College and competed in 3 NAIA National Tournaments
- Native of Berkeley Heights, NJ
Yudy Shivkumar-Junior Development Director
- Coaching since 1999
- USPTA Certified CoachExpertise from junior to collegiate levels
- Director of junior programs for over ten years
- 2014-19 Head Pro at West Orange Tennis Club
- 2014-19 Owner/Manager of West Orange Total Tennis Summer Camp @ West Orange Tennis Club
- Competed on semi-pro circuit
- Native of Guyana, W. Indies
Les Smith-High Performance Director
- Coaching tennis since 1994
- USPTR Certified Coach Coached players to state, sectional and national championships in singles and doubles
- Highly sought by elite juniors transitioning to college play
- Co-founder of Les Smith Tennis LLC, providing consulting for prospective college tennis players
- Former # 1 Singles Player for Western Michigan UniversityNative of Flint, MI